What is a Dietitian?
Also known as a Registered Dietitian (RD), Registered Nutritionist or Nutritionists
- A dietitian is a health professional who is an expert in helping people make the right choices when it comes to food and nutrition.
- Dietitians have a four-year university degree in nutrition and food science and must complete a 40-week supervised internship. This combination of applied study allows them to achieve both the theoretical and practical components of nutrition.
- Dietitians have met the competencies needed to work in a wide variety of areas (e.g., hospitals, community health centres, food industry, research, and education).
A Bit More on What this Means
- The titles Dietitian, Registered Dietitian, Registered Nutritionist, and Nutritionist (in Alberta) are protected titles by law.
- This means that only someone who has completed the necessary education and professional requirements is allowed to use these titles.
- Other professions who discuss nutrition may not be registered, regardless of their background and therefore may not have standards for the service they provide.
- Dietitians are required to have the proper education in order to be registered with the College of Dietitians of Alberta, and they are held accountable for their services. As such, they must practice according to a set of laws and standards.
Why work with a Dietitian?
- Dietitians will always provide accurate and applicable information.
- They assist in making the best food choices by translating complex medical and nutrition research.
- They work with other health care professionals, when necessary, to coordinate client care.
- Dietitians must practice ethically and cannot provide any false advice.
- You will receive the highest quality of nutrition advice from a Registered Dietitian.
For additional information, check out these videos:
- "The College of Dietitians of Alberta is by Your Side" – The College of Dietitians of Alberta
- "How Registered Dietitians Can Help Albertans" – The College of Dietitians of Alberta
- What is a Registered Dietitian? - Eat Right Ontario
- What Does a Dietitian Do? - Dietitians of Canada
- Registration Requirements - College of Dietitians of Alberta
- Difference Between a Registered Dietitian and Nutritionist - Dietitians of Canada