There’s no doubt that summer is my absolute favourite season! Between the blue skies, sunshine and abundance of fresh fruit and veggies, I am one happy person. Yet somehow life can get a bit more hectic during these months and our eating habits can change a bit. Whether it’s from the types of foods we are choosing to eat, going on vacation and not being able to have our go-to meals or a lack of time for meal prepping.
Good news is - you can enjoy your summer and all the amazing food and times it brings without having to worry about what you are going to eat! Here are a few of my general tips for road or hiking trips and what to pack:
Road Trips/ Hiking Trips:
So the idea here is to bring some nutrient-dense snacks along to help curb hunger and keep you energized during the day. These should help tie you over until you make a pitstop for an ice cream cone at a corner shop on the highway!
- Baked chickpeas (store bought or click here for my favourite recipe)
- Beef jerky
- Planet-Organic Inspired Monster Cookies
- Trail mix
- Mini cucumbers and tomatoes
- Snap peas
- Carrot sticks
- Sliced or whole apples
- Granola bars (Kind bars, Larabars and Kashi bars are a few of my favourites) or you can try this recipe
Tip: Choose foods that won’t spoil and fruit/veggies that have a harder skin and won’t bruise so easily.
If you have a mini cooler that you can bring along I suggest packing your fruit/veggies in here along with a:
- Serving of Greek yogurt/cottage cheese/Skyr yogurt and berries
- Pre-made sandwich
- Few Babybel or pre-portioned cheese strings/blocks
- Individual hummus packs
Pack what you know won’t go bad in the few hours while you are driving!
When eating out:
- Try remembering the Healthy Plate Model and incorporate that in as many meals as you can. This will help keep you full and energized!
At the end of the day, I think the most important thing is really to just enjoy the foods you are eating and the experiences you are having. Genuinely live in the moment. Life wouldn’t be much fun if it wasn’t filled with all of the foods we enjoy. Remove food labels (good vs. bad foods) and instead focus on having healthy options available to choose from amongst some of your other favourite foods.
Have a wonderful summer,
Wanting to get a few more suggestions about how you can nourish your body and create a positive relationship with food?
Book an appointment and see how!